1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and cream on high until homogenous, about 3 minutes. Add the flour and salt, mixing until just combined, about 30 seconds.
2. Remove the dough from the bowl and form it into a 1/2-inch-thick rectangle. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
3. Heat the oven to 350°F.
4. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, unwrap it, and dust with a sprinkling of flour. Roll it out to a 1/4-inch thickness with a rolling pin on a floured surface. Using cookie cutters, cut out shapes and carefully transfer to a lined or nonstick baking sheet. (Work quickly; the colder the dough, the easier it is to cut, transfer, and bake.)
5. Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges. Cool completely on the baking sheet before glazing and decorating.
6. With a knife, palette knife, or piping bag fitted with a small round tip, outline or frost the top surface of each cookie. Decorate with sprinkles before the frosting hardens.
1 tablespoon of liquid (see suggestions below)
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
Food coloring (optional)
Our favorite flavors!
Peanut butter + a splash of milk
Chocolate syrup + a splash of milk
Milk + a splash of vanilla extract
Milk + a splash of mint extract
In a small bowl, combine your chosen liquid, combine with the confectioners’ sugar, and whisk until smooth.